Filipino Numismatist
Filipino Numismatist
Filipino Numismatist
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Filipino Numismatist

For those passionately collecting Philippine coins & banknotes

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» No Post Here Yet so I Figured I'd Post My Gradeschool to College Medals (LOL!)
English Series Specimens EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 12:23 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» Fake Auction Pieces
English Series Specimens EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:25 am by John Edoward Miguel

» BNSP Auction
English Series Specimens EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:19 am by John Edoward Miguel

» Philippine Gold Coins
English Series Specimens EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:17 am by John Edoward Miguel

» Looking for Gold Coins
English Series Specimens EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 10:54 am by Ghiem

» New Specie of Philippine Gold Coins??
English Series Specimens EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 9:09 am by John Edoward Miguel

» I am new. Please help.
English Series Specimens EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 2:42 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» 1908P One Peso Silver Coin Proof
English Series Specimens EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 12:26 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» Forum for New Discoveries or still Unidentified Materials
English Series Specimens EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 12:14 pm by John Edoward Miguel

Top posters
al.plata
English Series Specimens Vote_lcapEnglish Series Specimens Voting_barEnglish Series Specimens Vote_rcap 
tracy1947
English Series Specimens Vote_lcapEnglish Series Specimens Voting_barEnglish Series Specimens Vote_rcap 
filipinonumismatist
ericgo
josie
lizjensen001
abe
DIC
kolektor
Most Viewed Topics
Forum for New Discoveries or still Unidentified Materials
United States Coins
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Cleaning coins / bank notes
BNSP Auction
Philippine Gold Coins
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Bayanihan Collectors club Auction May 30, 2010
Poll
Most active topics
United States Coins
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
Philippine Gold Coins
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Cleaning coins / bank notes
Auction Results
What is the fair value of the 1828 manila 8 Reales in PCGS XF40
PHILIPPINES CURRENCY?
Most active topic starters
al.plata
filipinonumismatist
lizjensen001
josie
Kalookan
nic
abe
DIC
Rudi Smits
edbsbc78

English Series Specimens

Go down 
+2
jansen81
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jansen81

English Series Specimens Empty
PostSubject: English Series Specimens   English Series Specimens EmptySun Mar 07, 2010 12:48 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I need assistance identifying a few specimen notes from my English series collection. All of them have similar overprints as shown below.

I've checked the Pick Catalogue but found limited information from that resource. The signatures are of Macapagal & Castillo. I'm not sure if this is P.135s4 or P.135s5. Can anyone clarify if this is a De La Rue overprint or not?

English Series Specimens P5_spe10

Thanks,
Jansen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: English Series Specimens   English Series Specimens EmptyMon Mar 08, 2010 5:07 pm

I thought specimens have no serial number???

I just remembered the guy I saw on TV...the person who's making private overprints and making money out of it.
Back to top Go down
jansen81

PostSubject: Re: English Series Specimens   English Series Specimens EmptyTue Mar 09, 2010 10:02 am

Newbie wrote:
I thought specimens have no serial number???

I just remembered the guy I saw on TV...the person who's making private overprints and making money out of it.

Hi,

Specimens may or may not have serial numbers depending on the issuing authority. BankNoteClub.com describes the features of specimen banknotes in detail -- http://www.banknoteclub.com/Content/special.php

As far as I know, BSP (like the central/reserve banks of Australia, PNG, Samoa & Vietnam) releases specimen notes with serial nos. Considering the purpose of issuing specimens is to inform other central banks of the country's newly designed banknotes, to me it makes sense having serial numbers printed on them to indicate the font type, color and number of digits used on those banknotes.

I would be concerned though if the 'SPECIMEN' overprints in my collection were different from those officially released by BSP.

Cheers,
Jansen
Back to top Go down
coincoin

coincoin

PostSubject: Re: English Series Specimens   English Series Specimens EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 9:57 am

I'm sorry to tell you this is not a De La Rue specimen. De La Rue's have a lot of other overprints on them, not just the word SPECIMEN. most are numbered and you'll see "No.1" (or another number) printed in the white margins at the top or bottom and some have 000000 serials. There are so many non De La Rue specimen overprints that thay are next to worthless (a dime a dozen) and there are no records of how many were printed. I have sold off all my specimens except for a couple of full sheets I keep to impress friends. If you do find a De La Rue with the numbers or a small oval shape De La Rue overprint, GRAB IT! They're as rare as hens teeth!
Back to top Go down
http://pinoynotes.hostoi.com/
jansen81

PostSubject: Re: English Series Specimens   English Series Specimens EmptyWed Mar 10, 2010 1:25 pm

Hi pinoynotes,

Thanks for describing what De La Rue specimens look like. I've never seen one before. This piece of information is truly helpful.

Glad I joined this forum Very Happy

Cheers,
Jansen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: English Series Specimens   English Series Specimens EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 12:13 am

@Pinoynotes...What do you mean by "There are so many non-De La Rue specimen overprints that thay are next to worthless ?" Do you mean that there are private specimen overprints by some unscrupulous individuals with the motive of monetary gain?

I don't collect counterstamp coins because of so many proliferating dubious counterstamps. That's the advice given to me by an older collector.
Back to top Go down
coincoin

coincoin

PostSubject: Re: English Series Specimens   English Series Specimens EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 2:49 pm

Hi Newbie, What I meant by saying non De La Rue specimens "are next to worthless"" is because there are so many out there. The P5 Macapagal & Castillo, whos picture is shown here, is nearly as common as a specimen, as a normal note. Don't get me wrong, some Specimens are worth getting, but most are very common and will never increase in value like some other issues. I got rid of 90% of my specimens (about 70 notes), the only ones I kept were the "off beat" ones, like a P100 Aquino-Fernandez Specimen overprinted Starnote *0559746, it has red serial numbers but All other P100 Aquino-Fernandez notes have black serials. Anything strange is worth keeping.
Back to top Go down
coincoin

coincoin

PostSubject: Re: English Series Specimens   English Series Specimens EmptyFri Mar 26, 2010 1:53 pm

Some De La Rue Specimens so you can see the difference.... English Series Specimens 880198 English Series Specimens 880199 English Series Specimens 880710 English Series Specimens 880709
Back to top Go down
jansen81

PostSubject: Re: English Series Specimens   English Series Specimens EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 10:00 pm

Wow, a picture is worth a thousand words. Just with the change of signatures from Quirino/Cuaderno to Garcia/Castillo, it appears that the manner by which overprints were applied to the notes were changed as well. Font sizes of specimen nos. on the margins were reduced. Quirino/Cuaderno notes have one oval overprint on face whereas Garcia/Castillo had two. And the latter had holes punched on the signatures.

Very interesting, indeed. Thanks for sharing this picture.

Do you have scans for other signature varieties? Or perhaps refer me to a website that holds such information?
Back to top Go down
barilla1766

PostSubject: Re: English Series Specimens   English Series Specimens EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 11:49 pm

These are really nice notes. I've been visiting BSP museum but I never saw these notes.
Back to top Go down
notaphilypino

PostSubject: Re: English Series Specimens   English Series Specimens EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 12:24 am

coincoin wrote:
Some De La Rue Specimens so you can see the difference.... English Series Specimens 880198 English Series Specimens 880199 English Series Specimens 880710 English Series Specimens 880709

Very nice pictures.

I bought a 20P English Series TDLR Specimen Note Gar-Cas (Acting) in UNC from Mel Steinberg for US$ 250.00 in 1994 ($1=Php 30.00) it also had a specimen number as shown in the pic. Years later I traded the TDLR specimen for a rare Phil-Am book to a US dealer from Columbia, Maryland. I was selling it to him at my acquisition cost but he claimed item was overpriced. He was willing to make a trade though with a book similarly priced in his "For Sale" list.

BTW, the punch holes are "normal".
Back to top Go down
filipinonumismatist
Admin
filipinonumismatist

PostSubject: Re: English Series Specimens   English Series Specimens EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 10:38 am

@notaphilypino

What book did you trade for your note? Can you give me the title? You might PM me. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://forum.filipinonumismatist.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: English Series Specimens   English Series Specimens Empty

Back to top Go down

English Series Specimens
Page 1 of 1