Posts : 275
Points : 68037
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2009-02-20
|Subject: Why USPI coins are scarce in high grades---embosed Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:30 pm|| |
Few collectors ever realized that the U.S. Philippine coins are scarce in high grade condition especially in AU and mint state. Here in United States, American collectors are so obsessed in high grade condition and they pay special attention to it. It was during the early 1980's when the numeric grading was born and become so popular until now. This dramatic changes helps a lot of collectors in accurately grading their coins and to reduce the seller in overgrading their items. Major third grading companies are the one who will really guarantee its authenticity and acurracy when you submit the coins to them.
When your coins are graded by the third party grading services such as PCGS, NGC and ANACS, the value of your coins increase significantly and sometimes exceed the catalogue or market value especially in mint state condition.
Sad to say, US-Philippine coins are hard to find in high grade condition because of the following reasons:
1) U.S. Philippine coins are statistically minted in low quantities compare to other countries.
2) Very humid climate affects the surface of the coins which are easily prone to corrosion and extreme toning.
3) Few Filipino collectors collect coins during those times and most of them fail to preserve the coin's current condition.
4) Philippine numismatist before love to clean their coins and are happy to look at their bright, shiny appearance.
5) Millions of pesos were dumped in Caballo Bay during World War 2 to prevent the seizure of Japanese invading forces.
6) Due to majority of poverty in Philippine population, people mostly spend their coins rather than preserving them.
7) During the early 80's when silver rosed to a sky rocketing prices, lots of silver coins went to the melting pot.
Lack of proper protective materials destroys the coins condition especially the old sulphur based coin albums.
9) Few international numismatist pay much attention to U.S. Philippine coins resulting to a fewer conservation.
10) Lack of encouragement and knowledge in Philippine numismatist to preserve their coins in original state.
To my fellow numismatist.... USPI coins are so scarce in high grade condition and they command premium prices and will very soon increase their value sharply in the near future. So try to preserve your USPI coins for the next generation.
Posts : 188
Points : 59870
Reputation : -2
Join date : 2009-08-09
Posts : 77
Points : 49141
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2009-08-18
Age : 57
Location : Spain
|Subject: Re: Why USPI coins are scarce in high grades---embosed Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:16 pm|| |
in addition to that, most high grade USPI coins are already in the hands of high end collectors.
|Subject: Re: Why USPI coins are scarce in high grades---embosed || |