Filipino Numismatist
Filipino Numismatist
Filipino Numismatist
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Filipino Numismatist

For those passionately collecting Philippine coins & banknotes

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» No Post Here Yet so I Figured I'd Post My Gradeschool to College Medals (LOL!)
PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 12:23 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» Fake Auction Pieces
PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:25 am by John Edoward Miguel

» BNSP Auction
PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:19 am by John Edoward Miguel

» Philippine Gold Coins
PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:17 am by John Edoward Miguel

» Looking for Gold Coins
PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 10:54 am by Ghiem

» New Specie of Philippine Gold Coins??
PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 9:09 am by John Edoward Miguel

» I am new. Please help.
PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 2:42 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» 1908P One Peso Silver Coin Proof
PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 12:26 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» Forum for New Discoveries or still Unidentified Materials
PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 12:14 pm by John Edoward Miguel

Top posters
al.plata
PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. Vote_lcapPVC Holders, Albums, etc.. Voting_barPVC Holders, Albums, etc.. Vote_rcap 
tracy1947
PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. Vote_lcapPVC Holders, Albums, etc.. Voting_barPVC Holders, Albums, etc.. Vote_rcap 
filipinonumismatist
ericgo
josie
lizjensen001
abe
DIC
kolektor
Most Viewed Topics
Forum for New Discoveries or still Unidentified Materials
United States Coins
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Cleaning coins / bank notes
BNSP Auction
Philippine Gold Coins
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Bayanihan Collectors club Auction May 30, 2010
Poll
Most active topics
United States Coins
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
Philippine Gold Coins
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Cleaning coins / bank notes
Auction Results
What is the fair value of the 1828 manila 8 Reales in PCGS XF40
PHILIPPINES CURRENCY?
Most active topic starters
al.plata
filipinonumismatist
lizjensen001
josie
Kalookan
nic
abe
DIC
Rudi Smits
edbsbc78

PVC Holders, Albums, etc..

Go down 
+2
ericgo
al.plata
6 posters
AuthorMessage
al.plata

al.plata

PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. Empty
PostSubject: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 5:00 pm

Plastics have been in use widely and it seems it has been accepted throughout this hobby. Some people say that plastics made from oil (and the most common is Poly-Vinyl-Chloride or PVC) can harm or ruin the coins. But there is no specific report from the Numismatists Experts (NGC, ANACS, etc..) but what I can remember was that during the old days when there was no plastics, people use wood, cloth and paper. And the most popular container used was a little envelope made from Manila Paper. Wow, it used to be that coin collectors in the whole world knows about Manila Paper because of this small envelopes... as for the plastics, I do not know, and somebody should share very important information here.
Back to top Go down
ericgo

ericgo

PostSubject: Re: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 5:23 pm

actually there are a lot of articles in NGC about PVC damage. PVC residue is very difficult to remove and it will eat into the coin over time. i've read somewhere that PCGS will not grade any coin that has PVC residue. NGC however will grade provided you pass the coin through their coin conservation first so the PVC can be removed professionally.
Back to top Go down
denrico

denrico

PostSubject: Re: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 5:38 pm

Does anybody have a picture reference/links of a coin damaged by PVC?
Back to top Go down
ericgo

ericgo

PostSubject: Re: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 5:48 pm

http://www.australian-threepence.com/blog/2010/04/pvc-residue-and-pvc-damage-on-coins.html
Back to top Go down
denrico

denrico

PostSubject: Re: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 6:15 pm

ericgo wrote:
http://www.australian-threepence.com/blog/2010/04/pvc-residue-and-pvc-damage-on-coins.html

grabe! nakakatakot tingnan yung damaged coin specimen! thanks Eric for the picture/links..
Back to top Go down
al.plata

al.plata

PostSubject: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 8:10 pm

Thanks for posting that information ericgo. Now I remember, an old timer once told me to better keep my coins in those Manila envelopes or better have it sent to the USA for slabbing or encapsulation if it is really a beautiful coin. But he never told me why it is better in those envelopes than in those albums.. Besides, we want the coins in an album to show it and look at it over without touching it. It is good for collectors to share information. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
ericgo

ericgo

PostSubject: Re: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 8:59 pm

the link i posted earlier is an extreme case of pvc contamination. in early stages, the contamination appears as a light haze on coins and can be best seen by this example.

PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. Bw2

The left coin has PVC contamination (this is in the early stages) on the coin's surface and over time will turn into that green slime in the previous link i've posted. If you have a coin like this, look at the coin at an angle under any light and you will see a slightly green tint on the coin's surface.
Back to top Go down
Market! Market!

PostSubject: Re: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 4:01 pm

ericgo wrote:
the link i posted earlier is an extreme case of pvc contamination. in early stages, the contamination appears as a light haze on coins and can be best seen by this example.

PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. Bw2

The left coin has PVC contamination (this is in the early stages) on the coin's surface and over time will turn into that green slime in the previous link i've posted. If you have a coin like this, look at the coin at an angle under any light and you will see a slightly green tint on the coin's surface.

Thanks for sharing!!

So what do you advise for this? Assuming our coins are already on the early stages of "decay" LOL.
Acetone? Vinegar? Will it remove that milky white stuff?

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
ericgo

ericgo

PostSubject: Re: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 4:23 pm

an acetone bath then a rinse in distilled water is the best method for removing pvc contamination

yes. once acetone comes in contact with the milky white stuff, it comes off immediately
Back to top Go down
Market! Market!

PostSubject: Re: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 4:29 pm

Distilled water?
OMG!

I guess I can be forgiven if I use tap water on my peso coins (1970s up) since they are not that expensive.

Thanks ericgo!!
Back to top Go down
ericgo

ericgo

PostSubject: Re: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 11:23 pm

i use tap water as well. just make sure to dry them properly
Back to top Go down
Market! Market!

PostSubject: Re: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 11:01 pm

PVC, does it have any effect on bank notes?

My banknote album used to be those for pictures (with sticky pages).
My banknotes got "darker" compared to those inside my envelope.
Back to top Go down
ericgo

ericgo

PostSubject: Re: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 4:48 pm

i hope there will be someone here who can answer your question about pvc and banknotes. i unfortunately have no idea on the effects of pvc on banknotes
Back to top Go down
al.plata

al.plata

PostSubject: pvc holders    PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 11:37 pm

i am here right now in singapore and went to the "monetarium".. they are very friendly but they do not have any philippine coins, they told me that the next coming auction is tentatively set this october.. i ask for the coin albums and coin holders, he showed me the coin holders that are also available in greenhills (jc coins) and the big albums but pvc tyoes..he said they are out stock for the non pvc albums coming from germany,, ,, i looked around for the electronic weighing scale but found some too costly, double the price in manila.. they have nice coins also,,
Back to top Go down
richardthebrave

PostSubject: Re: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 2:22 am

al.plata wrote:
i am here right now in singapore and went to the "monetarium".. they are very friendly but they do not have any philippine coins, they told me that the next coming auction is tentatively set this october.. i ask for the coin albums and coin holders, he showed me the coin holders that are also available in greenhills (jc coins) and the big albums but pvc tyoes..he said they are out stock for the non pvc albums coming from germany,, ,, i looked around for the electronic weighing scale but found some too costly, double the price in manila.. they have nice coins also,,

al, ano address ng monetarium nila? pakipost at baka pumunta ako diyan this end of august or sa november
Back to top Go down
al.plata

al.plata

PostSubject: Re: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 8:59 am

the "monetarium " is on the 2nd floor of Adelphi Building along Coleman Street near the old Raffles area.. just ask any taxi driver to get you there. they got a lot of pretty coins like canadian, australian and chinese coins.. i never ask for the prices because there was no plan buy those.. but a friend told me it is expensive here because of taxes..
Back to top Go down
ericgo

ericgo

PostSubject: Re: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 9:55 am

al, if you buy from places like the singapore coins and notes museum they will issue you a gst refund slip. you can claim some of the taxes you paid for the coins once you leave singapore.

I am not sure if monetarium will issue you a gst refund slip though.

the singapore coins and notes museum has a branch in orchard i believe and another one in chinatown. if you have time, it is worth taking a look
Back to top Go down
al.plata

al.plata

PostSubject: Re: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 8:20 am

ok thanks.. probably i can no longer see the other shops.. we have a short schedule (a week) and we have to see a lot of places.. i should have listed all store names selling coins.. anyway, there are lots of filipinos out here and easy to get around because almost everyone speaks english.. time is same as manila but 7 am is still like 6 am in manila.
Back to top Go down
edbsbc78

PostSubject: Coin Shops in Hong Kong   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 1:48 pm

Hi al. / ericgo,

Since we 're at it , any recommended Coin/antique shops you've been to in Hong Kong?

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
ericgo

ericgo

PostSubject: Re: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 3:47 pm

sorry but i haven't been to hong kong to look for coins yet. i will be visiting later this year but will most likely skip the coin buying in hong kong
Back to top Go down
Market! Market!

PostSubject: Re: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. EmptyThu Aug 18, 2011 9:46 pm

Crap, kahit pala naka 2x2 me effect Sad
PVC ung album ko e

When these chemicals come into contact with your coins the acidity cycle starts. PVC isn't heat tolerant and will start to break down even before it leaves the factories. These chemicals will leach out of the plastic, even through your mylar 2x2 and onto the coin surface.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PVC Holders, Albums, etc..   PVC Holders, Albums, etc.. Empty

Back to top Go down

PVC Holders, Albums, etc..
Page 1 of 1