Filipino Numismatist
Filipino Numismatist
Filipino Numismatist
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Filipino Numismatist

For those passionately collecting Philippine coins & banknotes

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» No Post Here Yet so I Figured I'd Post My Gradeschool to College Medals (LOL!)
Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 12:23 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» Fake Auction Pieces
Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:25 am by John Edoward Miguel

» BNSP Auction
Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:19 am by John Edoward Miguel

» Philippine Gold Coins
Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:17 am by John Edoward Miguel

» Looking for Gold Coins
Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 10:54 am by Ghiem

» New Specie of Philippine Gold Coins??
Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 9:09 am by John Edoward Miguel

» I am new. Please help.
Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 2:42 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» 1908P One Peso Silver Coin Proof
Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 12:26 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» Forum for New Discoveries or still Unidentified Materials
Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 12:14 pm by John Edoward Miguel

Top posters
al.plata
Numismatic Collections going Abroad Vote_lcapNumismatic Collections going Abroad Voting_barNumismatic Collections going Abroad Vote_rcap 
tracy1947
Numismatic Collections going Abroad Vote_lcapNumismatic Collections going Abroad Voting_barNumismatic Collections going Abroad Vote_rcap 
filipinonumismatist
ericgo
josie
lizjensen001
abe
DIC
kolektor
Most Viewed Topics
Forum for New Discoveries or still Unidentified Materials
United States Coins
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Cleaning coins / bank notes
BNSP Auction
Philippine Gold Coins
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Bayanihan Collectors club Auction May 30, 2010
Poll
Most active topics
United States Coins
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
Philippine Gold Coins
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Cleaning coins / bank notes
Auction Results
What is the fair value of the 1828 manila 8 Reales in PCGS XF40
PHILIPPINES CURRENCY?
Most active topic starters
al.plata
filipinonumismatist
lizjensen001
josie
Kalookan
nic
abe
DIC
Rudi Smits
edbsbc78

Numismatic Collections going Abroad

Go down 
+5
embosed
laki_sa_layaw
DIC
abe
manilagalleontrade
9 posters
AuthorMessage
manilagalleontrade

manilagalleontrade

Numismatic Collections going Abroad Empty
PostSubject: Numismatic Collections going Abroad   Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 2:25 am

Am I having the impression that a lot of the good Philippine Numismatic Collections are getting into the hands of foreigners or Pinoys abroad because of ebay? Is this considered a lost to Philippine Numismatic?
Back to top Go down
http://www.manilagalleontrade.webs.com
abe

abe

PostSubject: ---   Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 10:53 am

the best way to preserve the "best" coins of the philippine is for PNAS to buy some of them...
Back to top Go down
DIC

DIC

PostSubject: Re: Numismatic Collections going Abroad   Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 2:47 pm

manilagalleontrade wrote:
Am I having the impression that a lot of the good Philippine Numismatic Collections are getting into the hands of foreigners or Pinoys abroad because of ebay? Is this considered a lost to Philippine Numismatic?

Yes it is. But that's not the sad thing about it. The truly sad thing is that it shows that foreigners are more interested in philippine numismatics than filipinos. It goes abroad because the demand is there and not here locally. It's a shame but at least there are others who are more interested in preserving our numismatics.
Back to top Go down
manilagalleontrade

manilagalleontrade

PostSubject: Re: Numismatic Collections going Abroad   Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 6:08 am

Sad but true, demand is outside the Philippines and also because of the buying power of the ordinary Filipinos. We should encourage the youth to continue the hobby.

More power to the Filipino Numismatist. This is one way of encouraging future numismatist.
Back to top Go down
laki_sa_layaw

laki_sa_layaw

PostSubject: Re: Numismatic Collections going Abroad   Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 7:29 am

manilagalleontrade wrote:

The answer to the first question is true, however this can be prevented if Filipino collectors from the Philippines are willing to pay top dollars especially those semi-key and key dates. Answer to the other question is "NO". My reason is simply because these coins are now being preserved in a better environment compare to heat and humid climate in the Philippines.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bill-jetblack.com
embosed

embosed

PostSubject: Re: Numismatic Collections going Abroad   Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 8:20 am

A lot of Philippine collectors in the Philippines cleaned their coins badly. This sounds very disappointing but its the fact. Original owners from the household sometimes cleaned their coins already. Then comes the house to house canvassers who purchased the coins from them. They try to drop a nitric acid to test its silver content which this type of acid is very corrosive and irreversible to the silver coins.
The canvassers then try selling their accumulated goods to a small time dealer which further cleaned the coin harshly in order to have a very shiny white appearance just to attract their prospective customers. Plus the humid nature condition in the Philippines, coins will deteriorate further.
Also, most Philippine collectors uses the PVC material coin albums and flips to store their coins. PVC material contained sulphur which when combined with damp air and minute moisture will corrode the coins. This form of corrosion is called "verdigris". A sticky green patina that etched on the coin's surface that when stay longer in the coin will create a microscopic porosity.
See? even the collector who is supposed to protect the coin from harm are the one who innocently damage the coin's numismatic value.
That is why most of the lesser injury coins went abroad will stay at least safer there. For instance, the weather in mainland US are drier in conditions plus they're protected in a much safer material like coin capsules and PVC free coin flips and albums. Also, the high grade coins and key dates are protected by a slab which is very reliable in a long term storage.
Unless the Filipino collectors in the Philippines must protect the coins very carefully and meticulously in order to be worth staying in the mainland.
EWY
Back to top Go down
josie

PostSubject: Re: Numismatic Collections going Abroad   Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 9:55 am

Its lost.

But to collect them all will be a big task,only those who can afford can have it.

Hope that CBP have at least one copy of each issue.

As far as I know only a handfull collector have the entire coin collection of US coin and far as I know he is a banker.

On Philippines its up to the PNAS to gather them, that other collector can contribute at least in picture or info a catalog,just a comment.

Ordinary collector will have a hard time completing a collection from the first coin to current issue is long and expensive,maybe collective effort of those who have a rare,good grade coin at least in a book.
Back to top Go down
manilagalleontrade

manilagalleontrade

PostSubject: Re: Numismatic Collections going Abroad   Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 8:52 pm

This is reason why I always wanted the low value (face value) commemorative coins like the 1 peso 1992 araw ng kagitingan 50th commemorative. Just like what the US is doing with their 1 cent, 5 cents, quarters statehood and 1 dollar presidential coins.
If people see different coins then they see something special worth keeping and that is the start of the hobby.
People see the same coins everyday and they don't even know coins have different dates.
Central Bank should the responsible in promoting the hobby like giving school children field trips to their facilities and CB museum. Teaching school children how to collect (like how to preserve and not cleaning coins, etc.) But if they don't provide face value commemorative coins then we are back to the same problem of buying power.
Back to top Go down
yeling1960

yeling1960

PostSubject: Re: Numismatic Collections going Abroad   Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 12:57 am

when i came to new york in 1983. i brought some 1,000 pc of 1903 to 1912 philippine peso. i don't sell them. i collect them. i wish i could have bring more. one 1907 peso cost me 28 peso, and 1903 peso cost me 60 peso.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Numismatic Collections going Abroad   Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 8:24 pm

Mas madami ang tinutunaw kesa napapapunta sa abroad. Pero mas madaming pang-collection ang napupunta sa ibang bansa dahil mas may pera sila. Yung mga common na silver coin dati ay ang hirap nang hanapin ngayon.

Ginagawa ko ngayon ay nagho-hoard ako ng mga common silver coins(US-PI) para ma-save sila sa pagkatunaw at para me abutan pa yung mga susunod na mga collector. Tingin ko ay tuloy-tuloy lang ang pagtunaw ng mga US-PI coins kaya lalong magiging scarce sila.
Back to top Go down
al.plata

al.plata

PostSubject: Collections Going Out of the Country   Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 8:47 pm

This is very alarming that beautiful coins are getting scarcer and scarcer. At every auction I have been attending, there are always foreigners and mailed entries submitting winning bids. A case in point are the gold coins, it is now very expensive since the prices are not a problem to foreigners. Even silver coins are being taken out and what are left behind are the lower graded coins. Just look at the coins available, there are less beautiful coins nowadays. I always look at the Internet and see that prices are very high, so those who have coins are no longer willing to sell locally because they know that they can sell it abroad.
Back to top Go down
josie

PostSubject: Re: Numismatic Collections going Abroad   Numismatic Collections going Abroad EmptyFri Feb 18, 2011 9:45 pm

Just a comment other collectors in other countries are good in what coins and banknotes they will collecect or invest depending on there liking and interest.

Gold and silver Phillipine are getting scarer or there are collectors in the Phillipine getting larger that the awareness of filipino are getting larger that the coin market in the Philippine are getting larger or the Philippine is getting richer?

Coin and banknotes we even didnt know what other collectible they like in the Phillipine that they have a hand into.

Ancient Phillipine artifact?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Numismatic Collections going Abroad   Numismatic Collections going Abroad Empty

Back to top Go down

Numismatic Collections going Abroad
Page 1 of 1