Filipino Numismatist
Filipino Numismatist
Filipino Numismatist
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Filipino Numismatist

For those passionately collecting Philippine coins & banknotes

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» No Post Here Yet so I Figured I'd Post My Gradeschool to College Medals (LOL!)
Coin Collectors EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 12:23 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» Fake Auction Pieces
Coin Collectors EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:25 am by John Edoward Miguel

» BNSP Auction
Coin Collectors EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:19 am by John Edoward Miguel

» Philippine Gold Coins
Coin Collectors EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:17 am by John Edoward Miguel

» Looking for Gold Coins
Coin Collectors EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 10:54 am by Ghiem

» New Specie of Philippine Gold Coins??
Coin Collectors EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 9:09 am by John Edoward Miguel

» I am new. Please help.
Coin Collectors EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 2:42 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» 1908P One Peso Silver Coin Proof
Coin Collectors EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 12:26 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» Forum for New Discoveries or still Unidentified Materials
Coin Collectors EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 12:14 pm by John Edoward Miguel

Top posters
al.plata
Coin Collectors Vote_lcapCoin Collectors Voting_barCoin Collectors Vote_rcap 
tracy1947
filipinonumismatist
ericgo
josie
lizjensen001
abe
DIC
kolektor
Most Viewed Topics
Forum for New Discoveries or still Unidentified Materials
United States Coins
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Cleaning coins / bank notes
BNSP Auction
Philippine Gold Coins
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Bayanihan Collectors club Auction May 30, 2010
Poll
Most active topics
United States Coins
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
Philippine Gold Coins
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Cleaning coins / bank notes
Auction Results
What is the fair value of the 1828 manila 8 Reales in PCGS XF40
PHILIPPINES CURRENCY?
Most active topic starters
al.plata
filipinonumismatist
josie
lizjensen001
Kalookan
abe
nic
DIC
Rudi Smits
edbsbc78

Coin Collectors

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
al.plata

al.plata

Coin Collectors Empty
PostSubject: Coin Collectors   Coin Collectors EmptySat May 28, 2011 12:53 am

I have tried to look for and even joined some collectors clubs or associations to be able to get help, advise and insights of this hobby. But to my amazement, it seems that most of the people in this group are busy with themselves and do not have time to pass on their wisdom and share experiences. In some countries if you join groups you will surely learn a lot and enjoy such privileges. Some people are very happy to pass on their legacy which is not the case in the Philippines..
Back to top Go down
filipinonumismatist
Admin
filipinonumismatist

Coin Collectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coin Collectors   Coin Collectors EmptySat May 28, 2011 11:43 am

Don't be surprised because I had the same experience with the local clubs. That's why I started this website and I am doing my own research to help other collectors. Most people at the local clubs earn their living by buying and selling coins so they don't pass their knowledge for fear that you are potential competitor. What they are doing is a simple formula of their own self destruction because if nobody will pass the knowledge of numismatics to the next generation of collectors, time will come that the trade of coins will be of weight and not by date which is actually happening right now. Numismatic clubs are no longer different from pawnshops and bullion traders. If this trend continues local numismatic clubs will suffer the same fate as what happened with the philatelic clubs, and they will die of natural causes.

Studying coins is tedious and requires a lot patience which is a rare trait for this present generation. Youngster prefer fast, easy, and newer hobbies. Hobbies that are not complicated, not outdated, and accessible. If you'll look around at the vicinity of every local auction, it is very rare to see people who are just around their 20's and always you'll see the same faces only every time. Newer attendees like yourself became aware of these clubs through this forum and if not for that, the number of attendees would have continued to decline.

I and some contemporaries are no longer connected with PNAS and we are no longer attending nor supporting the activities of local numismatic clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.filipinonumismatist.com
abe

abe

Coin Collectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coin Collectors   Coin Collectors EmptySat May 28, 2011 10:20 pm

I myself though that I really want to remain active on this hobby, but my studies consumes an awful a lot my own free time. But I promise to help the present generation in order for them to see the value of this hobby, once that I'm finished. Almost all that I've been doing in these past few years with regards to this hobby, is to buy and bid on the net. maybe we could start a new numismatist club? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
al.plata

al.plata

Coin Collectors Empty
PostSubject: Coin Collectors   Coin Collectors EmptySun May 29, 2011 12:11 am

I am not too keen on starting another association. What I have in mind is, a source of verifiable information anytime. For example, a new page can be offered here and anybody can contribute and the info should only see posting after verification. Foremost info needed is the current prices of coins. Sources would be the loyal subscribers here who attends local coin auctions. Data should include coin facts, coin condition and price sold with the date of auction. Another info that maybe posted here are the coin stores and persons to ask for. Thanks..
Back to top Go down
filipinonumismatist
Admin
filipinonumismatist

Coin Collectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coin Collectors   Coin Collectors EmptySun May 29, 2011 10:06 am

I have already informed everyone that a page for updated prices of coins will be provided here on this website for free but that is not an easy project for me because of lack of access to some information. You have to understand that this website is privately owned and I have not asked nor solicited fund nor help from any members of this forum. Supposed to be, a store and an auction page will be opened this June that could generate an income to help me create this page but it is easier said than done because the time that I should have allotted for research were being consumed by other important matters.

The page that is being created to update the prices of Philippine coins requires a lot of data due to the fact that even the BSP and the local numismatic clubs whom should have compiled these pieces of information either have lost their records or have no records at all. The "coinfacts" page on the PCGS website is a joint project between several institution in the United States, including efforts from private individuals so in terms of result, I can only provide you whatever can be reached by my budget, time, and effort.

Aside from that, veteran collectors whom I should be interviewing to verify some information are afraid to share this information for fear that I am a potential competitor. That is how deep "crab mentality" among Filipinos. I joined PNAS thinking that I'll make some difference and help them progress. I encouraged some friends to liquidate their collection and consigned them to PNAS to help fund the activities of the club and I was already preparing this website as a donation to the club but to my dismay other members there had bad suspicion and grudges against me thinking that I am taking over the club or I am competing with them.

I will be opening the auction page and store this coming June. Income that will be generated from the sale will all be donated and spent to create a comprehensive data page for "real time" prices of Philippine coins and surplus of that will be contributed to help other local numismatic clubs through references and books. Accounting for the sale and expenses will be displayed on the home page of this forum for transparency and to show that I am sincere with my commitment to serve you not as entrepreneur nor a club official but as a hobbyist just like yourselves.

Thanks Abe, Al, and everyone for helping the hobby progress!

Back to top Go down
http://forum.filipinonumismatist.com
josie

Coin Collectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coin Collectors   Coin Collectors EmptySun May 29, 2011 8:00 pm

Just a comment,just a opinion.

Due to the advancement of internet collectors do increase dont know in Philippine coin collectors this site is one good example.

Even others have contact they can also have one place or site to visit to.
Website do cost several application cost by bytes and require money to maintain.
During this times some site are interlink or other member have a banner just below their name like in Predecimal then another banner for promo for other site and external link.

Some or most site have coin consignment,coin facts,events calendar,latest purchased to have a expert opinion or advice that they bought it at a right price,ebay laugh posting dealers and sellers making common coin rare and selling high.

As other forum they are the frontline among others who discover new finds but other association is needed for attribution and confirmation to be accepted and written in books to specialized to world reference books unless the owner of the site or if he is a writer himself published its own .

Most of expert in other forum have been there for years this forum is several years still a long way to go like the Predecimal,coin community and coin people among others.

Site and forum do varies on there interest depending on what their members do like to collect.
As other expert says that they can have a coin for there collection but the important thing they can get along with the coin and price among others is its history and most of them are well verse on their history.

Me I try to avoid sometimes to research Philippine coin I might feel bitter due to the history of the Philippine but other site do freely discuss it and allow other post but with a limit.

In the history of the Philippine since in the 70s Filipino was and is still always informed how to detect fake coins even ordinary people played on banknote stripping the security gold fiber that become plastic.

If there will be more collectors in the Philippine does it meant that there are more people aware of our history.

There is a saying coin collecting is a hobby for kings,maybe not only it is expensive to have coins in the past especially gold a store wealth to be use in emergency or war but to know other kingdom what they are doing either it is friendly or a treat that will go to the manipulation of coins and currency.
Back to top Go down
al.plata

al.plata

Coin Collectors Empty
PostSubject: Coin Collectors   Coin Collectors EmptySun May 29, 2011 9:11 pm

The gold security strip on paper money was a "big rumor" when I was young. Were you able to verify this? Is this true? Anyway, many old collectors say it is not true.
Back to top Go down
josie

Coin Collectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coin Collectors   Coin Collectors EmptySun May 29, 2011 9:41 pm

The Blue plastic strip on that time was alternate blue then white color in strip.

The gold strip or they say gold??? is really color gold no evidence in hand that it is gold or proof of it.

It looks like plastic on top and bottom and fiber color gold in the middle.

It is on the boundary of marcos and cory time it is featured in one of the channel in the Philippine they did interview one person dont now if they still archive it (channel 2 interview mang totoy I think the quiapo dealer that on that time the highest coin he sold was 30.000 peso for one coin on that time he only carry one small pouch bag during the interview,,,) that even you melt or gather as much of it it is not worth on that time,it is the time that the government is maintaining the value of Philippine peso maybe during or after the aluminum coin gurame not sure it is one of the feature of new banknote today the strip or others like silver strip in other reserve currencies ours is inside the note it was propose or invented by one of the workers or official in BSP on that time,

At least UK have the metallic thread in 1990.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=3XEaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=YiwEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3926,717759&dq=banknote+gold+security+thread&hl=en

Now most of banknote have silver strip or mark like those in credit card or cellphone chips.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknote#Paper_banknotes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknote#Other_materials

Metallic gold thread in Philippine banknote???originators de la rue???
http://www.pjsymes.com.au/articles/glitters.htm
http://www.delarue.com/ProductsSolutions/BanknoteProduction/InsightandInnovati/

I will keep it in mind Al Plata and do remember it from time to time that it is either a stardust in metallic glitter of aluminum or colored silver and gold thread or layered or coated of minute dust of gold to it physical value of 0.02 centavos in Philippine banknote on that time or if it is windowed or entirely embedded in banknote,just a smallest dust of gold even it is 0.02 centavo in lowest banknote it will make an intrinsic value in I Owe You banknote???

http://www.pjsymes.com.au/articles/security.htm

Saudi Arabia on that time use silver thread.

Just posting.

http://www.google.com/patents?hl=en&lr=&vid=USPAT5093184&id=TyIjAAAAEBAJ&oi=fnd&dq=first+banknote+with+embedded++gold+metal+thread+fiber+security&printsec=abstract#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://www.google.com/patents?hl=en&lr=&vid=USPAT2143406&id=UQQCAAAAEBAJ&oi=fnd&dq=gold+thread+banknote&printsec=abstract#v=onepage&q&f=false

Further studies on exchange rate of Philippine peso to the US dollar to Gold and silver prices on that time and where it all went downhill.
just a comment.
Back to top Go down
al.plata

al.plata

Coin Collectors Empty
PostSubject: Coin Collectors   Coin Collectors EmptyMon May 30, 2011 9:33 am

For The "filipinonumismatist": With regards to the information on this site, it seems that it is seldom updated. Sometimes, I encounter other pertinent data that can be added here. And also, I have several coins which, are common and most coin collectors have, but no picture are shown here. Can we help this site by providing pictures and other info?
Back to top Go down
josie

Coin Collectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coin Collectors   Coin Collectors EmptyMon May 30, 2011 8:10 pm

Coin and banknote image gallery.

Hope others can published a book on that.

From the legislation.
From flan supplier to mint to artist,designer,engraver.
From metal composition to weight and other measure.
To coins minted to proof issue.
To coins graded and their pop report.
To variety to new discoveries to fake coins.

A sort of project.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Coin Collectors Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coin Collectors   Coin Collectors Empty

Back to top Go down

Coin Collectors
Page 1 of 1