Filipino Numismatist
Filipino Numismatist
Filipino Numismatist
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Filipino Numismatist

For those passionately collecting Philippine coins & banknotes

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» No Post Here Yet so I Figured I'd Post My Gradeschool to College Medals (LOL!)
Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 12:23 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» Fake Auction Pieces
Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:25 am by John Edoward Miguel

» BNSP Auction
Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:19 am by John Edoward Miguel

» Philippine Gold Coins
Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:17 am by John Edoward Miguel

» Looking for Gold Coins
Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 10:54 am by Ghiem

» New Specie of Philippine Gold Coins??
Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 9:09 am by John Edoward Miguel

» I am new. Please help.
Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 2:42 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» 1908P One Peso Silver Coin Proof
Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 12:26 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» Forum for New Discoveries or still Unidentified Materials
Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 12:14 pm by John Edoward Miguel

Top posters
al.plata
Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 Vote_lcapCleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 Voting_barCleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
tracy1947
Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 Vote_lcapCleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 Voting_barCleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
filipinonumismatist
ericgo
josie
lizjensen001
abe
DIC
kolektor
Most Viewed Topics
Forum for New Discoveries or still Unidentified Materials
United States Coins
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Cleaning coins / bank notes
BNSP Auction
Philippine Gold Coins
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Bayanihan Collectors club Auction May 30, 2010
Poll
Most active topics
United States Coins
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
Philippine Gold Coins
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Auction Results
What is the fair value of the 1828 manila 8 Reales in PCGS XF40
PHILIPPINES CURRENCY?
Most active topic starters
al.plata
filipinonumismatist
josie
lizjensen001
Kalookan
nic
abe
DIC
Rudi Smits
edbsbc78

Go down 
+5
richardthebrave
al.plata
boy_genius_ck
ericgo
Market! Market!
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
al.plata

al.plata

Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: cleaning coins   Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 8:54 am

in cleaning coins, it is usually that "overly dirty coins" are not that rare or precious, so it is alright if you do clean it any which way. but in cleaning precious coins like gold, silver or platinum.. make sure that you ask old timers, long time collectors or friends how to do it.. since i only keep silver coins that are easily available in manila, i do not have much of this problem, but now that i am starting to get "harder to find" philippine silver coins in unc or extra fine conditions, i am seriously thinking about it (cleaning) to make it very beautiful in my album..
Back to top Go down
Market! Market!

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning coins / bank notes   Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 9:08 pm

denrico wrote:
Quote :
> Acetone bath did not "clean" my coins. (Hard dirt, melted rubber, moss/fungus? LOL)

why don't you post some pics for all of us to see?

Sorry no camera, my cellphone has one but I don't have any connector for it to the PC.
I will elaborate on my post:
> Hard dirt - tumigas na dumi na maaari lang tanggalin pag kinuskos hahaha LOL
> melted rubber - mga rubber band na natunaw at tumigas/dumikit sa coins
> moss/fungus - meron ako nakitang green stuff sa gilid ng coin, andun pa din after 5-10 min acetone bath

LOL hahaha ayan maaari ng ma-imagine Smile

@ al.plata,

I don't have expensive coins (for now LOL).
I first plan to buy "sets" at BSP Secuity Complex. Will also buy commemorative coins (ung d lalampas 1000php).
Once done, I will start collecting more expensive ones.
My current target is to own at least one Philippine Gold Coin hahaha LOL.

Thanks for the replies! (ang onti natin, same people replying hahaha, sana dumami magka interest sa hobby na ito)
Back to top Go down
al.plata

al.plata

PostSubject: cleaning coins   Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2011 8:27 am

many people visit and look at this site but only few log in.. some friends i knew talk about the issues here but do not comment on line...
it is really hard to get gold coins.. first, it is very costly.. second, there are only limited mintage for philippine issues.. third, most of the old issues were melted because of the rising prices and the disregard for numismatic value.. fourth, it seems that many coins were brought out by foreign collectors.. let me cite an example.. during marcos time, there were lots of gold coins issued, can you easily find it now?
Back to top Go down
Market! Market!

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning coins / bank notes   Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 2:40 am

@al.plata
How much is the cheapest Marcos Gold coin you've seen?
Where? When?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Market! Market!

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning coins / bank notes   Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 2:28 pm

denrico wrote:
Quote :
x2 mylar coin holder? Is that those cardboard thing that you need to staple?
hmm... if that's the one then I can consider it.
I work near SM Megamall and WORLD TREASURES has a lot of those cardboards.

yes that's the one.. well, if you will visit the World Treasures maybe you could share to us( specially to me Very Happy ) how much is the 2x2 mylar coin holder now and whether they have a website.. I'm from Mindanao and it's really hard buying these mylar holders here.

Just bought some today at 5 pesos each. I forgot to ask if they have a website, I'll ask when I visit them again.
Also bought Stapler at NBS for 200 pesos. LOL
Back to top Go down
fabiolo

fabiolo

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning coins / bank notes   Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 3:45 pm

just want to share my recent experience regarding cleaning banknotes. i did some research last night and the common advice that i found was either you hire a professional to do the cleaning for you or just leave your baknotes as they are - old, soiled, and crumpled.

being the guy with an OCD, i decided to throw this pretty reasonable advice out the window and washed my banknotes with soap and water just this morning. i figured banknotes are made of cotton so i guess it's just the same as washing my socks. it's not rocket science. i'll just be extra careful and everything will be fine.

well, things didn't actually turn out as expected. it appears, my english series notes are more paper than cloth, which didn't really go well with water and detergent. i just ruined my half-peso and 5 centavo notes in my failed attempt to improve the condition of my banknotes.

the upside is, i discovered that a simple eraser (the one that's smooth and white, not the usual mongol pencil eraser) gives a much better result than soap and water. soft and light strokes did all the magic.

so the lesson here is - if you're not really losing sleep over some minor stains on your notes, just leave them as they are. they're better off dirty than something which looks like a five year old's finger painting. take it from me, a two-month old stubborn and crazy banknote collector. lol! :D
Back to top Go down
al.plata

al.plata

PostSubject: cleaning   Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 5:30 pm

that is exactly what happened to one of my paper money (50 centavo big green) when i was in the elementary grade.. my half peso bill was stained by coffee and i tried washing it off, the stain just spread and the money became ugly and soft and it lost its crispness.. just remembered it . lesson: never wash paper money..
Back to top Go down
Market! Market!

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning coins / bank notes   Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Money Laundering. LOL Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kalookan

Kalookan

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning coins / bank notes   Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 5:31 am

Now, if we can only clean up our act on grading!

Kalookan
Back to top Go down
Ghiem

Ghiem

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning coins / bank notes   Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 03, 2018 2:06 pm

looking for abl gold coin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning coins / bank notes   Cleaning coins / bank notes - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2