Filipino Numismatist
Filipino Numismatist
Filipino Numismatist
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Filipino Numismatist

For those passionately collecting Philippine coins & banknotes

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» No Post Here Yet so I Figured I'd Post My Gradeschool to College Medals (LOL!)
Commemorative coins EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 12:23 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» Fake Auction Pieces
Commemorative coins EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:25 am by John Edoward Miguel

» BNSP Auction
Commemorative coins EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:19 am by John Edoward Miguel

» Philippine Gold Coins
Commemorative coins EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:17 am by John Edoward Miguel

» Looking for Gold Coins
Commemorative coins EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 10:54 am by Ghiem

» New Specie of Philippine Gold Coins??
Commemorative coins EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 9:09 am by John Edoward Miguel

» I am new. Please help.
Commemorative coins EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 2:42 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» 1908P One Peso Silver Coin Proof
Commemorative coins EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 12:26 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» Forum for New Discoveries or still Unidentified Materials
Commemorative coins EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 12:14 pm by John Edoward Miguel

Top posters
al.plata
Commemorative coins Vote_lcapCommemorative coins Voting_barCommemorative coins Vote_rcap 
tracy1947
Commemorative coins Vote_lcapCommemorative coins Voting_barCommemorative coins Vote_rcap 
filipinonumismatist
ericgo
josie
lizjensen001
abe
DIC
kolektor
Most Viewed Topics
Forum for New Discoveries or still Unidentified Materials
United States Coins
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Cleaning coins / bank notes
BNSP Auction
Philippine Gold Coins
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Bayanihan Collectors club Auction May 30, 2010
Poll
Most active topics
United States Coins
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
Philippine Gold Coins
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Cleaning coins / bank notes
Auction Results
What is the fair value of the 1828 manila 8 Reales in PCGS XF40
PHILIPPINES CURRENCY?
Most active topic starters
al.plata
filipinonumismatist
lizjensen001
josie
Kalookan
nic
abe
DIC
Rudi Smits
edbsbc78

Commemorative coins

Go down 
+2
embosed
alexmacesar
6 posters
AuthorMessage
alexmacesar

Commemorative coins Empty
PostSubject: Commemorative coins   Commemorative coins EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 2:02 am

Just wondering, why were there no new commemorative coins issued for the past 9 years? I think the last commemorative coins issued were the P5000 and P500 peso central bank 50th anniversary coins. That is, if you do not consider the year 2000 P10 circulating coins as commemorative, too.
Regarding the current P10 coins, the "old" coins (2000-2006) are yellow/dark yellow in color. But a few "new" coins dated 2006 have a different shade of color - sort of yellow orange in color. Did the central bank mint plant changed the metallic composition?

Alex
Back to top Go down
embosed

embosed

PostSubject: Re: Commemorative coins   Commemorative coins EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 2:57 am

Because there were less demand on Philippine commemorative coins. Despite its low mintage for our coins, foreign buyers didn't care much about it because its not very popular. Central bank is heavily relying on customers to dispose their newly issued commems. Maybe they realized that only very few were been sold and mostly stuck at their vault for years they are not keen on issuing them again. There are some exceptions though. The 1995 pope Paul visit commemorative are a hot buy.
Our national hero commemorative series issued from 1961 to 1969 are in high mintage of 100,000 pieces but the demand is low and the selling price by most of the US dealers here are only about $10.00 each which I had bought 6 pieces of them just yesterday. They are even below their melt value! I remember visiting here in US last 1989 when I was in high school and I stop over to a local coin shop. I spotted one Rizal 1961 peso selling for only $9.00 a piece. Twenty years later the price is just up by a mere dollar. See?
About the metallic content of our current 10 peso coins, I do believe strongly that the central bank changed the metallic composition frequently. Take note that our 2004 piso coins has a different alloy than the rest of the date. It contained a little amount of steel I think because I see one of the worn pieces in my pocket changed got a rust on both fields. Same thing with our previous Fauna and Flora coin series before. The metallic alloy changes frequently and inconsistently without notice.
EWY
Back to top Go down
abe

abe

PostSubject: ---   Commemorative coins EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 12:27 am

the success of new commemorative coin will depend upon its significance, historically, and its beauty.
Back to top Go down
abe

abe

PostSubject: ---   Commemorative coins EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 12:32 am

but in case that the BSP will issue another one, as a Filipino nusmismatic it, is our duty to help them....
Back to top Go down
alexmacesar

PostSubject: Re: Commemorative coins   Commemorative coins EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 1:35 am

Thank you for the information regarding the minting of commemorative coins. So, does it mean that "profit" is one of the main consideration in minting of the com. coins? But I think during the time of Marcos, there were a lot of commemorative coins issued, although in limited quantities only. Maybe, it also depends on the president of the Philippines.
I also bought a 1988 P10 people power revolution coin at its face value last year (2008) so this confirms your theory that they have some leftover stock and the price is also low. Imagine that after 20 years, the coin had the same market value!

Alex
Back to top Go down
DIC

DIC

PostSubject: Re: Commemorative coins   Commemorative coins EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 2:03 am

alexmacesar wrote:
Thank you for the information regarding the minting of commemorative coins. So, does it mean that "profit" is one of the main consideration in minting of the com. coins? But I think during the time of Marcos, there were a lot of commemorative coins issued, although in limited quantities only. Maybe, it also depends on the president of the Philippines.
I also bought a 1988 P10 people power revolution coin at its face value last year (2008) so this confirms your theory that they have some leftover stock and the price is also low. Imagine that after 20 years, the coin had the same market value!

Alex

Profit is not a consideration in fact it's the opposite, cost. They usually sell the coins based from the cost of producing it overhead costs etc. If there is profit it is very minimal. So it becomes a problem when some commemoratives aren't being bought and takes years before the stock is depleted so there is additional cost in storing them plus the price isn't adjusted based on inflation. The 94 leyte series back in '94 is still being sold at the same price so it shows that they just want to recover the cost of producing such commemoratives.
Back to top Go down
abe

abe

PostSubject: yes....   Commemorative coins EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 11:26 pm

the 1988 P10 is a low kind of a commemorative coin..
Back to top Go down
embosed

embosed

PostSubject: Re: Commemorative coins   Commemorative coins EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 2:56 am

For me, profit is the number one concerned of the central bank and to the rest of the world mints. The government issued commemorative or proof coins to encourage collectors to acquire and to admire them. Yes, that's true. But they also have to raise funds to help the income of the government.
In the case of the United States mint, The mint officials realized that more and more people collect coins every year, they designed a lot of commemorative coins in a single year. They had state quarter program, presidential dollars, regular annual commems, silver, gold and platinum bullion coins and so forth. See? The mint selling price aren't cheap either. If you want to find out the price, go to www.usmint.gov to find out the prices.
In the case of P10 people commemoratice coins, who said that the mint does only "minimal profit"???? When that coins first released in 1987, the central bank is selling them for P25.00. It is P15.00 higher than its face value. The coin is not even a silver but a magnetic type of nickel. I made another purchase in 1991 and the price was lower down to P15.00 because there was no demand. Then on 2005 the central bank tried to just sell them for just face value because the demand became lesser and lesser each year.
There was lesser in demand for Philippine coins currently. That is why the government have no guts in issuing them to the public.
EWY
Back to top Go down
alexmacesar

PostSubject: Re: Commemorative coins   Commemorative coins EmptyThu Aug 13, 2009 1:26 pm

The commemorative coins of the Philippines (I believe) started during the American Occupation, the 1936 one peso and 50 centavo coins that celebrated the start of the Philippine commonwealth so I think the Americans were the one who started it all. There were a lot of commemorative coins during the Marcos years. Of course, his presidency lasted for 21 years (1965-1986). In fact, he was the one who revived the gold coins production - for commemoratives only.

One of the commemorative coins which I have not seen yet (in the internet) is the "1996 one peso Phil-American friendship day - 50th Anniversary". Does anybody have any picture / specifications of this particular commemorative coin?
Back to top Go down
manilagalleontrade

manilagalleontrade

PostSubject: Re: Commemorative coins   Commemorative coins EmptyThu Aug 20, 2009 2:11 am

I have always enjoyed the low value commemoratives like the 1 peso or 2 pesos in circulation. These commemorative coins are very attractive to young collectors because of its availability and low cost. We need more young collectors to continue the numismatic hobby in the future.
Back to top Go down
http://www.manilagalleontrade.webs.com
nic

nic

PostSubject: Re: Commemorative coins   Commemorative coins EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 1:07 am

The artwork detail in our commemoratives specially the 50th BSP 500piso is remarkable, however I do miss the flora and fauna series, this might be more interesting to foreigners if done on a silver 38mm commemorative REV. I hope more interesting subjects like the Philippine eagle would be minted
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Commemorative coins   Commemorative coins Empty

Back to top Go down

Commemorative coins
Page 1 of 1