Filipino Numismatist
Filipino Numismatist
Filipino Numismatist
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Filipino Numismatist

For those passionately collecting Philippine coins & banknotes

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» No Post Here Yet so I Figured I'd Post My Gradeschool to College Medals (LOL!)
PVC Damage EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 12:23 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» Fake Auction Pieces
PVC Damage EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:25 am by John Edoward Miguel

» BNSP Auction
PVC Damage EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:19 am by John Edoward Miguel

» Philippine Gold Coins
PVC Damage EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:17 am by John Edoward Miguel

» Looking for Gold Coins
PVC Damage EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 10:54 am by Ghiem

» New Specie of Philippine Gold Coins??
PVC Damage EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 9:09 am by John Edoward Miguel

» I am new. Please help.
PVC Damage EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 2:42 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» 1908P One Peso Silver Coin Proof
PVC Damage EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 12:26 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» Forum for New Discoveries or still Unidentified Materials
PVC Damage EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 12:14 pm by John Edoward Miguel

Top posters
al.plata
PVC Damage Vote_lcapPVC Damage Voting_barPVC Damage Vote_rcap 
tracy1947
filipinonumismatist
ericgo
josie
lizjensen001
abe
DIC
kolektor
Most Viewed Topics
Forum for New Discoveries or still Unidentified Materials
United States Coins
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Cleaning coins / bank notes
BNSP Auction
Philippine Gold Coins
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Bayanihan Collectors club Auction May 30, 2010
Poll
Most active topics
United States Coins
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
Philippine Gold Coins
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Cleaning coins / bank notes
Auction Results
What is the fair value of the 1828 manila 8 Reales in PCGS XF40
PHILIPPINES CURRENCY?
Most active topic starters
al.plata
filipinonumismatist
lizjensen001
josie
Kalookan
nic
abe
DIC
Rudi Smits
edbsbc78

PVC Damage

Go down 
+2
polochamps2004
25Cents
6 posters
AuthorMessage
25Cents

25Cents

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: PVC Damage   PVC Damage EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 2:58 pm

I heard about how PCV plastic can damage coins. Sadly, I just bought a Coin Album from NBS just before i got aware of the possible damage it can cause.

Does any one here store coins from plastic album sheets? Is it true? I'd like to know how much is true to this? Need advice... Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
polochamps2004

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC Damage   PVC Damage EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 4:05 pm

25Cents wrote:
I heard about how PCV plastic can damage coins. Sadly, I just bought a Coin Album from NBS just before i got aware of the possible damage it can cause.

Does any one here store coins from plastic album sheets? Is it true? I'd like to know how much is true to this? Need advice... Thanks in advance.

Yes, Polyvinyl Chloride or what is known as PVC excretes acid that may corrode your coins. Since metal and acid don't go well together. My advice is to look for PVC free albums or holders. Most of them use Polypropylene. Plastic that is popularly used in NBA card sleeves which are corrosive-free. The only downside to Polypropylene is when it gets brittle it causes to lose strength. Hope it helps...Peace. Smile
Back to top Go down
25Cents

25Cents

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC Damage   PVC Damage EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 12:39 pm

polochamps2004 wrote:
25Cents wrote:

Yes, Polyvinyl Chloride or what is known as PVC excretes acid that may corrode your coins. Since metal and acid don't go well together. My advice is to look for PVC free albums or holders. Most of them use Polypropylene. Plastic that is popularly used in NBA card sleeves which are corrosive-free. The only downside to Polypropylene is when it gets brittle it causes to lose strength. Hope it helps...Peace. Smile

Thanks a lot for the info! Really appreciate it. By the way, do you happen to know where can i buy those PP plastics sheets?

Sorry newbie here.. I clicked the (-) sign instead of the (+)... Later did i know its for the reputation thingy.. I thought its for minimize of some sort.. My bad..
Back to top Go down
al.plata

al.plata

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: PVC Damage   PVC Damage EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 3:04 pm

Lots of coin collectors uses the PVC albums but also uses the 2 x 2 coin holders. The coin holders are made of cardboard and a window provided to display coins and the slots are covered by a plastic film which I think is also polypropylene. Most PVC albums have exact space for the flip coin holders but what I do is cut along the side of the cardboard to allow easy storage of the coin holders in the space provided.
Back to top Go down
ericgo

ericgo

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC Damage   PVC Damage EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 10:26 am

you can go to mr. jun cuartero at ghills. he is located in the second floor of the lifestyle center. He should be able to help you with the pp plastic sheets since i believe he has a few in stock.
Back to top Go down
tracy1947

tracy1947

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC Damage   PVC Damage EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 10:52 pm

my ten pieces of 1979 commemorative unc silver 50 peso set were damaged by PVC plastic holder. so i decided to sell them all. together i also sold some 25 set of 1980 unc mac Arthur 25 peso silver coin and its assorted coins. thinking that they too might as well be contaminated. and i don't like 50% silver. well, after 4 year. in 1983. i sold them. it looks like those coins have some premium on it. what a waste?.

another one is that during 1974 when central bank of the Philippines inaugurated its 25 year anniversary. the bank offered 100,000 pc of unc 1974 25 peso silver coins. it allow 10 pc per person. you have to fall in line. a long line as expected. so i asked another person to buy 9 pc additional for me. cause he is only buying one piece. unfortunately. the bank teller used her hands without gloves and count those coins repeatedly. i saw fingerprint all over each coin. that's terrible. it might not considered uncirculated. and those finger print will damage those 19 beautiful coin in the future. so after 3 year or so. in 1977. i also decided to sell them all. other reason i sell it. it is because during those days. collectors were considered this 1974 coin contained 50% silver. and i hate 50% only.

lastly. i got some 100 pc of sea salvaged collected by my father. i took it during 1970's. those were dark and ugly. and i am new to this coin hobby. so i decided without asking other people and clean them all with water and baking soda. but still came out ugly. so finally i am so smart to use brush and clean it using force. the result. more terrible and many scratches. so i also decided during that time 1970's to sell them all at only three pesos a piece. i am so happy. actually, i am so damn.

well, finally i am now considered a well informed collector. and my collection. 99% of it were all new. proof or uncirculated. all u.s. modern coins and came with nice beautiful boxes, sleeves, and certificate of authenticity. with silver going up so much. i am very much contented and happy. what a nice hobby?. coin collection.
Back to top Go down
25Cents

25Cents

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC Damage   PVC Damage EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 6:43 pm

tracy1947 wrote:
my ten pieces of 1979 commemorative unc silver 50 peso set were damaged by PVC plastic holder. so i decided to sell them all. together i also sold some 25 set of 1980 unc mac Arthur 25 peso silver coin and its assorted coins. thinking that they too might as well be contaminated. and i don't like 50% silver. well, after 4 year. in 1983. i sold them. it looks like those coins have some premium on it. what a waste?.

another one is that during 1974 when central bank of the Philippines inaugurated its 25 year anniversary. the bank offered 100,000 pc of unc 1974 25 peso silver coins. it allow 10 pc per person. you have to fall in line. a long line as expected. so i asked another person to buy 9 pc additional for me. cause he is only buying one piece. unfortunately. the bank teller used her hands without gloves and count those coins repeatedly. i saw fingerprint all over each coin. that's terrible. it might not considered uncirculated. and those finger print will damage those 19 beautiful coin in the future. so after 3 year or so. in 1977. i also decided to sell them all. other reason i sell it. it is because during those days. collectors were considered this 1974 coin contained 50% silver. and i hate 50% only.

lastly. i got some 100 pc of sea salvaged collected by my father. i took it during 1970's. those were dark and ugly. and i am new to this coin hobby. so i decided without asking other people and clean them all with water and baking soda. but still came out ugly. so finally i am so smart to use brush and clean it using force. the result. more terrible and many scratches. so i also decided during that time 1970's to sell them all at only three pesos a piece. i am so happy. actually, i am so damn.

well, finally i am now considered a well informed collector. and my collection. 99% of it were all new. proof or uncirculated. all u.s. modern coins and came with nice beautiful boxes, sleeves, and certificate of authenticity. with silver going up so much. i am very much contented and happy. what a nice hobby?. coin collection.

Wow! Thats very nice.. I'm looking forward to be a well informed collector as you are. I started my coin collection since grade school, but I took it more seriously just recently. Thanks for sharing...
BTW, Acetone and Paint thinner are great cleaner for PVC damage, i read. I haven't tried it yet though. REFERENCE
I had my coins & banknotes kept in a plastic sheets Album, I took the coins and stored them in a cardboard coin bank for now, until i found a more suitable coin containers.

Thanks again!

======P==N==N=======
Pinoy Numismatist Network
Get Coinnected Now......
Back to top Go down
25Cents

25Cents

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC Damage   PVC Damage EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 6:46 pm

ericgo wrote:
you can go to mr. jun cuartero at ghills. he is located in the second floor of the lifestyle center. He should be able to help you with the pp plastic sheets since i believe he has a few in stock.

Thanks for the info!

======P=N=N======
Pinoy Numismatist Network
Get Coinnected Now...
Back to top Go down
tracy1947

tracy1947

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC Damage   PVC Damage EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 8:24 pm

never clean a clean. use holder only with PVC free. protect coins with silica gel. keep in a clean, dry and humid free place. new coin should never touch it. beautiful toned coin can have premium on it. keep coin with original box and certificate of authenticity. and cover everything, include box with new, clean, pvc free plastic sandwich bag. finally store them in a very safety place to prevent theft, etc.
Back to top Go down
richardthebrave

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC Damage   PVC Damage EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 3:49 am

@tracy - does cleaning a coin with water and baking soda alters the coin surface?
Back to top Go down
tracy1947

tracy1947

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC Damage   PVC Damage EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 7:28 am

do not clean. if you clean. it become a bullion coin. why?. one reason is that you clean a coin. the dirt came out. the scratches on the surface of a coin become so clear that by using your own eyes without magnify lens. it can detect the damage on a coin instantly. so never clean a coin. a original dirty coin is even look prettier than a clean coin.

for uncirculated coin. do not clean. keep it in a safe dry place with silica gel for protection. if it tone or change color. tone beautifully even command a nice premium as high as 10x or 1000% in some case.
Back to top Go down
ericgo

ericgo

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC Damage   PVC Damage EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 9:08 am

baking soda is an abrasive. though you might not be able to see any scratches upon inspection using the naked eye, collectors usually at a minimum inspect coins using a 5x - 10x magnifying glass. under that magnification you will be able to see some scratches not seen by the naked eye.
Back to top Go down
richardthebrave

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC Damage   PVC Damage EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 5:09 pm

thanks guys. it's just because sometimes when i look at coins that i like, the indicators besides from weight and detail are not enough for me to say it is genuine.

for example, a morgan dollar that is severely toned (dark gray to blackish) and the lustre is missing. it might have the right weight and details but the luster is gone especially the cartwheel effect.

i saw one in the youtube videos of a fake morgan which has some sort of oxide that completely emulated the surface effects of a dark-toned morgan.
Back to top Go down
ericgo

ericgo

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC Damage   PVC Damage EmptyThu Apr 21, 2011 6:29 pm

i've encountered quite a bit of those kinds of coins locally especially with the old 1 peso coins.

most of the coins that have toned and have the lustre (cartwheel effect) missing are previously cleaned coins.

i've read that there are coins that have been dipped but still retain the original lustre though
Back to top Go down
25Cents

25Cents

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC Damage   PVC Damage EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 10:06 pm

ericgo wrote:
i've encountered quite a bit of those kinds of coins locally especially with the old 1 peso coins.

most of the coins that have toned and have the lustre (cartwheel effect) missing are previously cleaned coins.

i've read that there are coins that have been dipped but still retain the original lustre though

what's a cart wheel effect?
Back to top Go down
richardthebrave

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC Damage   PVC Damage EmptySun May 01, 2011 4:25 am

25Cents wrote:
ericgo wrote:

what's a cart wheel effect?

kapag itinapat mo ang coin to any light source and try moving the coin, the light reflected on the coin emulates a rolling wheel.

the way to move that coin is similar to dropping it on the ground where the coin circles on its back until it stops flat. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
25Cents

25Cents

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC Damage   PVC Damage EmptySun May 01, 2011 2:11 pm

Wuu... Uu nga nu! May tawag pala dun.. Thanks for the info! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
richardthebrave

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC Damage   PVC Damage EmptyTue May 03, 2011 3:56 am

25Cents wrote:
Wuu... Uu nga nu! May tawag pala dun.. Thanks for the info! Very Happy

hehe apir! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ericgo

ericgo

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC Damage   PVC Damage EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 10:15 pm

there is the opinion of many collectors and numismatists that it is better to clean a coin with pvc contamination than to leave that coin uncleaned. They said the main reason is that the pvc will eat into the coin over time and the fact that a coin has pvc contamination disqualifies it for grading with ngc or pcgs. what do you think about this?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PVC Damage Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC Damage   PVC Damage Empty

Back to top Go down

PVC Damage
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Filipino Numismatist :: Coins & Banknotes :: General Discussion-
Jump to:  
Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com