Filipino Numismatist
Filipino Numismatist
Filipino Numismatist
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Filipino Numismatist

For those passionately collecting Philippine coins & banknotes

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» No Post Here Yet so I Figured I'd Post My Gradeschool to College Medals (LOL!)
Internet Sellers EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 12:23 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» Fake Auction Pieces
Internet Sellers EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:25 am by John Edoward Miguel

» BNSP Auction
Internet Sellers EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:19 am by John Edoward Miguel

» Philippine Gold Coins
Internet Sellers EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 11:17 am by John Edoward Miguel

» Looking for Gold Coins
Internet Sellers EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 10:54 am by Ghiem

» New Specie of Philippine Gold Coins??
Internet Sellers EmptySat Aug 01, 2020 9:09 am by John Edoward Miguel

» I am new. Please help.
Internet Sellers EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 2:42 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» 1908P One Peso Silver Coin Proof
Internet Sellers EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 12:26 pm by John Edoward Miguel

» Forum for New Discoveries or still Unidentified Materials
Internet Sellers EmptyMon Jul 27, 2020 12:14 pm by John Edoward Miguel

Top posters
al.plata
Internet Sellers Vote_lcapInternet Sellers Voting_barInternet Sellers Vote_rcap 
tracy1947
filipinonumismatist
ericgo
josie
lizjensen001
abe
DIC
kolektor
Most Viewed Topics
Forum for New Discoveries or still Unidentified Materials
United States Coins
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Cleaning coins / bank notes
BNSP Auction
Philippine Gold Coins
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Bayanihan Collectors club Auction May 30, 2010
Poll
Most active topics
United States Coins
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
Philippine Gold Coins
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Cleaning coins / bank notes
Auction Results
What is the fair value of the 1828 manila 8 Reales in PCGS XF40
PHILIPPINES CURRENCY?
Most active topic starters
al.plata
filipinonumismatist
lizjensen001
josie
Kalookan
nic
abe
DIC
Rudi Smits
edbsbc78

Internet Sellers

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
al.plata

al.plata

Internet Sellers Empty
PostSubject: Internet Sellers   Internet Sellers EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 9:26 pm

I came across an Internet Seller and offered to buy some Filipinas-U.S.A. coins from him. He was very friendly and even volunteered to bring all his coins to me, and so it happened. He has more than a thousand coins, but to my dismay, it was an unsorted collection and he was trying to find the coins I wanted. It took us very long until I gave up. Anyway, his idea was, I am interested in all his collection and showed me some of his interesting pieces like a large USA one cent and some 5-pesetas (which were smaller than a Silver 5-pesetas I saw a few weeks ago and it looks like bronze). After a while when we were tired of seeing his collection, he left and I felt sorry for him and myself because we were both disappointed. as a parting word I assured him that I will try to find a buyer for some of his entire collection.
Back to top Go down
seniorsilverado

Internet Sellers Empty
PostSubject: Internet Seller   Internet Sellers EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 10:17 am

I tried buying a coin advertised on the internet. It was a 1908 silver peso coin, in very fine condition and looks quite attractive. However, the owner wants P5,000.00 for his coin. He based his price on US coin site selling graded coins (it was more than a hundred dollars). He was irritated when told that 20 million pieces of that coin was minted by USA and that it is estimated that there are more than ten thousand pieces hoarded by coin collectors locally and many more are kept by folks in the provinces. It was a failed negotiation because he was not selling for a lower price.. whew!
Back to top Go down
al.plata

al.plata

Internet Sellers Empty
PostSubject: Internet Sellers   Internet Sellers EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 10:54 am

I also met with someone who advertised his coins on the Internet. He showed me his collection of beautiful old silver Philippine coins. However, he also based his asking prices on an American Website' quoted prices on Graded coins. He was also very angry that I told him his coins were not comparable to those shown on the Internet site. I presented an Uncirculated coin (the old pink One Centavo 1944 coin which is very common). I pointed to the "Cartwheel" effect and explained to him that his collection do not have this factor, thus can not be considered as a coin in "Mint State". Imagine that he was asking for 500 pesos for a silver ten centavo coin which can be easily bought for less than hundred pesos here in Manila. I am now hesitant to meet and talk with these Internet sellers.
Back to top Go down
abe

abe

Internet Sellers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Internet Sellers   Internet Sellers EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 1:04 pm

the problem with the most of the internet sellers is that they are not as aware/informedknowledgeable/experienced as a numismatist is. And that on the bottom line of their selling practices is to just earn money. Newbies in this hobby should be well aware, and should be care full
Back to top Go down
al.plata

al.plata

Internet Sellers Empty
PostSubject: Internet Sellers   Internet Sellers EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Thanks for the warning of being careful in dealing with these internet sellers. I got into an argument when someone was asking too much for his 1945 ten centavo silver coin. I told him that his price was more than the cost of a graded coin in the ebay internet site. Unfortunately he was not aware of the coin grading system. What angered him more, was when told that the 1944 and 1945 silver coins were the most common coins in the fil-am series because of the very big number of made by usa (50, 20 and 10 ctvs. were reportedly minted to more than 200 million pieces). He just calmed down when I told him that the reason was that during the war, the japanese were confiscating all silver coins and after the war ended, the americans brought along many coins. And his grandfather confirmed that after the war there were many very shiny silver coins around.
Back to top Go down
abe

abe

Internet Sellers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Internet Sellers   Internet Sellers EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 5:58 pm

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/1571376/5+CENTAVO+COIN+USA/RP+set+of+10?referralKeywords=philippine+coin

Please do see this site, and you will see the example of an "un-informed seller"

notice the condition -"2nd Hand (Used) "

and the PRICE P1200! he might also be thinking that it is made of silver.

I am just giving away such coins to my cousins who needed it as an assignment for their economics subject!
Back to top Go down
al.plata

al.plata

Internet Sellers Empty
PostSubject: 1944, 1945 coins   Internet Sellers EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 9:40 am

I tried to make a count of the total coins issued by the Americans in the Philippines after the war. It was more or less Five Hundred Million pieces, including all the 50, 20, 10, 5 and 1 centavo coins. This is why these coins, however shiny and unused condition they are in, sells the cheapest among the Fil-Am series. They are even cheaper than a beautiful uncirculated half-centavo (1903, 1904) coin. I just wonder now, why America did not issue any silver pesos for that same period (1944, 1945)?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Internet Sellers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Internet Sellers   Internet Sellers Empty

Back to top Go down

Internet Sellers
Page 1 of 1